What Causes Global Water Crisis?
1. Climate change brought about by deforestation that intensifies heat in affected areas, droughts, and rising sea levels that are salinating freshwater sources.
2. Natural Disasters like floods can destroy or contaminate clean water sources
3. War and conflict destroy water sources and leverage lack of clean drinking water and hunger as a weapon of war
4. Lack of wastewater treatment facilities to make available water safe to drink. We may see water everywhere but if it’s safe to drink is another story.
5. Water wastage from leaking faucets, unnecessary and excessive use of tap water, and disposing of unconsumed clean drinking water may all seem like minor inconveniences but when they add up, they can actually supply a region without access to clean drinking water.
6. Lack of infrastructure to conserve and treat water in some countries takes for granted available water sources that can supply the population
7. Forced migration and refugee crisis puts pressure and unexpected increase in consumption of clean drinking water.